Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Road Trip beginnings, like a giant slowly waking

After sitting like this for 5 whole minutes in Seattle, no one picked me up. So I called my friend Lindsay Fuller and she offered to take me as far as Birmingham,Alabama. We left an hour later. We are in Boulder, CO tonight. Had a fun night out in Denver at the Ogden Theatre, saw a band called The Hold Steady with Lindsay's friends Aubrea and Julie, old classmates of her's from Baylor U. yesterday we went to the Mormon temple in Salt Lake City where I almost got converted by a really cute LDS, but LF saved me at the very last moment and we left the heart of the beast and walked down the street to a bar called The Beehive Inn and downed a pint of cold refreshing Polygemy Porters, whose motto is "why have just one"?Indee. One was enough though.
First night out we stopped in La Grande,OR so I could see the hospital I was born at on a camping trip. not much has changed. the town was so small the ER room doors were locked and it seemed the whole place was closed for the night.
The landscapes we have driven through last three days have been sup
er varied-s. washington state (as pictured in rolling hills and blue sky), the desert of Utah and the mountains of Colorado. All throughout though we had the peace of knowing we were not more than 100 miles from a Starbucks, Subway or Costco.
Tomorrow should be a great day, breakfast with A and J and my Uncle Mark Miller is gonna meet up with us too i hope, even though we just called him today on our way into town.





2 comments:

  1. And so it begins!!! Excellent coverage of the commencement. I didn't know you were born in La Grande. Jill and I began dating just down the road in Baker City. Godspeed. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, love your blogging. I'll be sure to follow.

    ReplyDelete