Saturday, November 27, 2010

Through the Looking Glass; a dream of cameras

Last night i had a strange dream, though the whole time i recall being slightly thrilled at each odd turn of events. I had been at a second hand shop. Or was it thrift store, or was it the basement of my parents house, one that i didn't recognize at all? I found a big old film camera, an enormous slr thing, i recall considering buying it as craved the feel and smell and look of good old film. And it was cheap, next to nothing. i thought how heavy is this camera, and bulky! why is it so heavy? As i turned it over to inspect the bottom i now noticed what i took to be a long thin screen running the length of the camera body toward its base. How strange, an lcd screen on a film camera, hmmm...but it was a film camera, what gives? I then realized the screen popped out of a recess, like a detachable car stereo faceplate, and it could extend out from the body on an arm, and it was not an screen but rather a magnifying glass, like those rectangular ones that grandparents have to help them read small print. i looked through it at the camera and noticed that i could see through the actual lens too, and that i could now focus really well on things very far away using the telephoto lens. What an interesting idea, i thought.
Then i noticed a little door where the recess was and upon opening it i discovered stored there the battery charger cord, a spare battery pack, and 3 vials of some liquid- film processing fluid.
Not only that but there were also foam mattresses stored there, and it occured to me that i was now inside the camera body and it had become a sort of storage room, a little light filtered in from what i assume was the camera's lens somewhere above me.
The mattress was in exactly the same place as where my dad and i had left it when i moved away to go traveling. Hey- its been 6 months and no ones moved a thing!
I figure that thoughts of returning home must have prompted this trip to the dream storage area. What the camera means i dont know, other than perhaps the idea of seeing new things with new eye's ( for me almost literally, what with my cornea transplant), and challenging myself to perceive sights with a different attitude in order to open up new doors-the doors of perception- with my soul.
"Be true to your soul, nick! " That is what i wrote on my sky-lantern before i lit its torch and sent it aloft in to a night sky filled with thousands more. Even as i wrote that i asked myself "what exactly does that mean? Be true to your soul". be true- listen to your heart, let that quiet, private intuition be your guide, not just cold rationale. This would be a huge change for me and many people i think, for I have to now be able to let go of many defense mechanisms i've spent a lifetime building up. Some of these are good, but most are actually preventing me from really growing, like a pot-bound plant whose roots need to be totally disentangled, trimmed, spread out and replanted in a new much bigger pot with fresh healthy, rich soil. And maybe the plant, i mean the person, i mean me, needs to be physically relocated to a totally new place, letting go of all my past treasures. Even my old home. Letting go. Lets go. Then just go! When? Now! what? Yes, right now! But....I can't(!?) Yes you CAN! Stop being so afraid. Your going to be just fine, now GOOOOOOO Dude!!!! OK... ummm, bye? Yes, see you later.

1 comment:

  1. William Blake called the calculating mind, Satan. He knew that there was something more essential to who we are than the frontal lobes of our brain. He knew that we had other "lens" by which to see / experience the world. He knew about soul.

    What a dream Nick! Within that way of seeing there was a foam pad...an occassion of rest, perhaps?

    Thanks for posting. ~Wes

    ReplyDelete