Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Damon's Martian Has "Bro" but Lacks Soul

While it was impossible to not be on the edge of my seat the whole time, something about Ridley Scott's new film The Martian disturbed me. There is the obvious "go science!" aspect, which is understandeable as Damon's character, a botanist-astronaut is stuck on mars.
(And give him a soul)
And there was a lot of upbeat positivity bouncing around portraying the struggles he faced in not losing his sanity. It also bounced back to earth in Apollo 13 style to explore the complexities of the rescue mission, and also to the earth-bound Hermes crew.
Through all this hoopla I still think there was a lack of focus on Damon's character. He listens to music a lot, which is great, but what else does he do? He is there a long time, over 500 days!
Surely there were ebooks, and I thought it would have been a nice touch to see him strive to do something creative, perhaps sculpt the martian earth into designs, or draw, or write. Even Tom Hanks in Castaway "painted" a face on volleyball.
I just wanted him to do something besides the video logs which really, is it just me, or is this increasingly standard sci-fi trope (a la Avatar) grows tiresome. Is it supposed to make it seem more real?
After seeing a dozen vlogs, I couldn't help just wanting to see his character, who is utterly convincing by the way, inhabiting the actual scene undistorted or unaffected by "diary-speak."
The whole thing just had a bit too much of a bro-science vibe. The need to dazzle and be constantly moving tended to overwhelm.
There was simply a missed opportunities for more soul searching expected of a marooned voyager.
It was the bravado of Odysseus without the tears and heartache. But this is still big hollywood, so what did I expect. People must be entertained, not enlightened. And Damon's character's creativity was perhaps fully expressed (or subsumed) in his efforts to stay alive. He is a science nerd, not an artist.

2 comments:

  1. I thought they had a scene with him and a book? Maybe not though... I feel that starting that garden was pretty creative, and transforming the living space. But I agree that it lacked an emotion that one would definitely experience when stranded in outer space. Or anywhere for that matter. Fear? Anger? Sadness? Madness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I debated its many merits, which you express well. I think he did read a book, but in all likelihood they had mainly ebooks in space. I think music would actually be a huge benefit to such isolation. I know when I travelled alone for 6 months I had my mp3 player chained to my head, bought little speakers to play music, and exchanged music with other backpackers regularly. Music unites and entertains us in a way books do not. Maybe I need to watch the film again!

      Delete