Friday, April 8, 2016

The Art of Quitting


Giving up is easy. I do it all the time. I’ve made profession of giving up. Jobs, relationships, colleges, you name it, I’ve thrown in the towel. I’m quite successful really. But I won’t lie. It hasn’t been easy. They funny thing about giving up is it gets easier with practice. Try it, I promise. But it gets lonely too, up here at the top.
      It started with tae kwan do. I got my yellow belt then used it try and hang myself with. This was much more satisfying than pretending to beat people up. I had no patience for such things.
Then there was baseball, then wrestling; even drawing and guitar lessons- all of these I loathed and grew weary of within a few weeks. 
     School itself was next on my list, but I feared the wrath of my teachers more than anything, more than god, more than my mom. So I suffered through it, mostly I stared out the window at the rooftop chimneys and the blue clouds, and dreamed of the day when I could graduate and find more important things to quit.
     The first thing of any significance was my sole collegiate goal: film school in Canada, at the prestigious Vancouver Film School. This dream fell quite swiftly under the pitying gaze of my girlfriend's father. 
     Though I loved her, the three hundred miles between us proved an ocean, so I gave her up. But wait, there was more to look forward to. There was a year and a half of horticultural school to bail on, high paying graphic design jobs to turn down, ground floor interior design jobs to walk out on, and valuable collectors items to pawn. 
     In this life, the options for self-improvement are limitless, and I won't give up till the curtains fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment